Life etc.

A happy adventure with baby Rowan.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Is it normal...

To constantly feel behind the 8 ball? To feel like you're always struggling to keep up and never quite catch up? To feel like it's all on your shoulders and you just can't keep everything together and it's all going to collapse if you look away even for a minute?
Even though I admittedly have a penchant for the dramatic, it's no exaggeration that this is how I've been feeling lately. Our bedroom, my past undisturbed sanctuary – where I would read poetry, light candles and always have flowers by the bedside – is now a big heap of clothes and an assortment of objects – plastic doohickies, firetrucks, boardbooks. The laundry NEVER EVER EVER gets done. I can't sit on the couch without moving a bunch of things over. The mail sits unopened for days. Phone calls are not returned. Rowan routinely goes 2 days without a bath or shower. And he hasn't even weaned off the bottle yet, because I just can't deal.
Everywhere I look, all I see are chores waiting to be done.
Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
I suspect that as much as I want to think that mine is a unique situation and indulge in a wild pity party, this is what life is like for most moms, working or stay-at-home.
Perhaps it's time to accept the chaos that comes with a toddler. Accept that my house will never be as tidy as I'd like. Rowan will not always look like a Gap Baby ad. The laundry will never get done. My closet will never look like something out of Real Simple.
You would think after 3 years, I would have. But I'm slow like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey P,

You're doing great! I constantly beat myself up over the multitude of projects unfinished and cleaning that could be done but remains on my to-do list.

Even with help, even with countless reserves of energy, money, and imagination (which I don't have)...there will always be something else that needs to get done.

My view on it, after having two munchkins, is that all that household drudgery and quests for perfection parenting are better left to the magazine spreads like Real Simple or Cookie.

I say, in my humble opinion, just have fun with the kiddo, the job, the hubbie, and life in general. But you know this already.

S

9:42 PM  
Blogger VRK said...

Representing all mean blog commenters who are the gods of the internet ;-), I forgive you all your sins but one...can you guess?

Bottle!

Come on now...he can do it and probably has in so many ways. It's up to you isn't it?

I type this as my closets are in a shambles, my paperwork is piling up, my toddler is refusing bathtime b/c the thing that covers the faucet accidently came off and now she's terrified, I didn't shower this morning, my older daughter is wetting her panties once a month at school and I can't figure out why and I have no plans to cook a healthy dinner tonight.

You're right, we're all screwed!

Have a great day! A really great day!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Prachi Junankar-Gokhale said...

S - you're right, I know all this already, and most days I'm fairly happy with my low standards. It's just sometimes.. you know... it's too much!

DesiMom - the bottle, yeah. Sigh. It's all me. Hope it works out with your older daughter.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de Plasma, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-de-plasma.blogspot.com. A hug.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home